Name: John HENTHORN
Birth 26 Dec 1752 , Frederick Co., MD
Death 19 Nov 1820 Newark, Licking Co., OH
Ref # 3T4K-KH
Marriage 1 Jun 1776 Fairfield, Licking Co., OH
- William H. HINTHORN (abt 1777 - 16 Nov 1859)
- Mary HINTHORN (17 Aug 1780 - 25 Oct 1848)
- Isaac H. HINTHORN (12 Mar 1783 - 15 Dec 1848)
- Rebecca HINTHORN (18 Jul 1785 - 18 Feb 1864)
- John W. HINTHORN (1787 - 1837/38)
- Sarah HINTHORN (4 May 1790 - 16 Jul 1873)
- Stephen Downard HINTHORN (19 Nov 1792 - 19 Dec 1838)
- Adam HINTHORN (17 Apr 1794 - 15 Sep 1857)
(Furnished by Norma Henthorn)
BIRTH: The Ancestral File (3T4K-KH) shows, b. . He is also in the file as, John Henthorn, b. Abt 1752 (Q50M-PB).
1782 Jun 7 - adjoinee in deed, Nottinghame Twp. Washington Twp., Washington Co. PA
1782 - Private in Washington Co., PA Militia, 5th Battalion, in Capt. Robert Ramsey's company - PA VI 2 (Source: Pennsyvlania Archives, 6th Series, V. II, p. 185)
1787 - taxed in Ohio Co., (W) VA
1800 - taxed in Newport Twp., now Monroe Co., OH
1801 - in summer moved his family to Licking Co., OH
1804 - administrator for brother, James Henthorn of then Belmont Co., OH (now Monroe Co., OH) (Source: Letters of Administration, Book O, p. 33, Belmont Co. OH - furnished by Norma Henthorn)
1806 abt - built a small grist mill on Spencer's Run, Licking Co., OH (Source: History of Licking Co. by N.N. Hill, 1881, p. 578)
1806 - taxed in Licking Twp., Fairfield (now Licking) Co. (Source: Ohio Records and Pioneer Families, V. 1 #2, p. 68)
1820 Nov 19 - died near Newark, Licking Co., OH
1829 fall - all family members, except Mary Archer, left Licking Co., OH to move to Illinois. They eventually settled in McLean Co., IL
MILITARY: He served in the Washington county, PA, militia during the Revolutionary War, in the 5th Battalion.
REFERENCE: "About the year 1806 Mr. John Henthorn built the first mill on Spencer's Run. It was a mere corn cracker, about twelve feet square, with buhrs or millstones about the size of a large grindstone."
(Source: History of Licking County, Ohio, compiled by N.N. Hill, 1881, page 578, Newton Twp. - furnished by Ruth Hanthorne)
REFERENCE: History of Licking Co., OH by E. Brister, Vol. I, Newton Twp. About the year 1806, John Henthorn built a grist mill on Spencers Run. It was a mere corn-cracker, about 12' square with buhrs or millstones about the size of largestones.
(Furnished by Ray Alfred Stewart)
Census: 1820 in Licking Co., OH, Washington Twp.
John Hinthorn; 1 male 18 to 26; 1 male 26 to 45; 1 male over 45
1 female 16 to 26; 1 female over 45
(Furnished by Norma Henthorn)
COMMENT: The courthouse in Licking Co., OH burned 3 Apr 1874/1875, destroying most records. They have attempted to reconstruct as many records as they could.
AKA: It is thought that the descendants of this John Henthorn spell the surname with an "i," Hinthorn. He is sometimes listed as "John Henthorn (the lesser).
RESIDENCES: Henthorn/Bell lists the place of death as: Licking Co., OH. He lived in Ohio Co., VA and Licking Co., OH.
MARRIAGE: Esther Hinthorne lists the date and place of marriage as: 1 Jun 1776; Fairfield, Licking Co., OH. She lists the date and place of death as: 19 Nov 1820, Licking Co., OH and the place of burial as Licking Co., OH.
CONFLICT: Some have reported that he died at Uniontown, Fayette, PA.
This seems highly unlikely in light of the fact that he had moved the family to Licking Co., OH in 1801.
RESIDENCES: Evidence of Henthorn / Hinthorn in Licking Co. OH (Furnished by Ray Alfred Stewart)
John Henthorn was acting Justice of the Peace in Etna.
John Henthorn was a bondsman for John Mentser (Heir of David Mentser) 24 Aug 1839,w/ Samuel Pee and John Guthrie.
Isaac Hinthorn was a bondsman w/James Porter for William Porter, James, McFadden, 21 Jun 1831
John Hinthorn was appraiser for estate of Daniel Warner. Richard Lamson and Calvin Warner were administrators, 20 Nov 1834.
John Henthorn was adm. w/Thomas Halmes and Martin Lincoln for George Hill.
Bond set at $400.00, 27 May 1837.
John Henthorn was appointed as Administrator w/Richard Lamson for Joshua H. Goodridge. Bond set at $60.00. 27 May 1837
EMIGRATION-CHILDREN: All but one of the offspring of John and Margaret Henthorn moved to McLean county, Illinois where they settled in Money Creek Township.
COMMENT: The Union Chapel and Hinthorn Cemetery, located on the banks of Lake Bloomington, McLean County, IL holds a significant place in the history of the Hinthorn(e) family. The following two articles provide information about the history of the church and cemetery.
CHURCH_AFFILIATION: Lake Chapel Service To Center on Mural
Services at Hinthorn Union Chapel at Lake Bloomington Sunday will be focused on a mural of the Last Supper, an itinerant sign painter's gift to the church some years ago.
History has it that George Swan of Peoria offered to paint a picture for the church in return for a pair of overalls, his board, paints, and whisky. The offer was accepted and he was given a small Sunday school card of Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" to copy, the Rev. Frank Breem director of East Bay Camp, said.
"What took Da Vinci 10 years to do, he did in a week - very crudely of course," Mr. Breen added. Swan died a couple years later while still in his 20s, a victim of alcoholism.
The Sunday service will center on interpreting the picture in song and story. Mr. Breen will lead the meditation on the four groupings of disciples in the painting, and the meditation on Christ will be led by the Rev. Roger Leham, associate pastor of the Cemtral Christian Church of Danville.
[Note: the article is headed by a picture of the mural and the altar.
Retyped by Rex K. King Jan, 2000]
(Source: Article from Daily Pantagraph, Bloomington, McLean, IL. Saturday, Aug. 12, 1961)
CHURCH_AFFILIATION: Loyal Friends Restore Chapel By June Simpson
A country chapel at the south edge of Lake Bloomington owes its restoration to a few women with a strong sense of family tradition.
Hinthorn Union Chapel, built in the first decade of the twentieth century, had ceased to be used for church services in the 1940s.
In 1954 a ladies aid was formed with only six active members. Many of these women were decendants of the Hinthorn and Vandegraft families, pioneers in the Lake Bloomington, Hudson area.
Prime Mover in the restoration of the church interior was the late Mrs. Emmett Hinthorn of 1203 N. Park. She served as the first president of the Ladies Aid. Assisting her was Mrs. Henry Geiger of Lexington.
Mrs. Hinthorn's daughter, Mrs. Alberta Johnson of the Park address, is carrying on her work.
Mrs. Hinthorn's other three daughters, Mrs. Dale Jennings of 1405 W. Graham, Mrs. Francis Canull of 107 S Linden, Normal, and Mrs. Tom Gaffney of R R 3, are also active members of the society.
Land for the cemetery, adjoining the church, was donated on June 1, 1887, by Charles E. Cox, Effie D. Cox, J.W. Aldrich, Flora S. Aldrich, Jackson Vandegraft and Mary Vandegraft. Jackson Vandegraft was the great grandfather of Mrs. Johnson and her sisters.
Land was donated as a free burial ground for descendants of the donors, and for members of the community.
The chapel is called Hinthorn because a member of that family was the first person buried there.
By 1958, after four years of staging ham and chicken suppers and ice cream socials, there was enough money to restore the interior of the nondenominational church. It was wired, lighting fixtures were purchased, floors were treated for termites, sanded and finished, carpeting was bought for aisles and altar, stoves were put in, roofing was completed and draperies purchased.
All this was made possible through the efforts of these few women.
There is no congregation at the church though church services are held in the summer time by the Rev. Frank Breen and Robert Johnson. Persons from the East Bay area attend.
The Ladies Aid Society will hold an ice cream social on July 29 from 4 to 8 p.m. Funds from this will be used to paint the interior of the church.
Note: the article above is accompanied by six pictures
- Picture 1; frontal view of chapel-captioned, Nondenominatiol Chapel Was Built at Turn of Century.
- Picture 2; four women inside chapel-captioned, Decendants of Jackson Vandegraft include four sisters, Mrs. Jennings, Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Canull, and Mrs. Gaffney. They presented the planter above as a memorial for their mother.
- Picture 3; two women-captioned, Mrs. Ed Weber, left is president of the society. Right is Mrs. Charles Arbuckle whose father cared for the cemetery and church.
- Picture 4; view of cemetery-captioned, Lake Bloomington Lies to North of Chapel Cemetery.
- Picture 5; Large painting of The Last Supper-captioned, Painting of the Last Supper was done in the church by an itinerant drunkard, who for the paint, overalls and liquor, painted the huge work in one week.
- Picture 6; view of large head stone-captioned, Jackson Vandegraft, who lies in the chapel yard was an original donor.
(Source: Article from Daily Pantagraph, Bloomington, McLean, IL. Sunday, July 22, 1962)
Richard E. (Edson) Henthorn
5403 76th Avenue
Hyattsville, MD 20784-1705