Friday, August 10, 2012

Quinn, Reverend James

James QUINN Rev. was born on 1 Apr 1775 in , Washington, PA. He was christened in 1786 in Uniontown, Fayette, PA. He died on 1 Dec 1847 in , Highland, OH. He was buried in Dec 1847 in , Highland, OH, Auburn Church. James Quinn 

RECOLLECTIONS: I was born in the county of Washington, state of Pennsylvania, April 1, 1775. My father, John Quinn, was the son of James Quinn, of the county of Armagh, Ireland. He left his father and came to America about the year 1769. My mother was Sarah Henthorn, daughter of John and Fanny Henthorn. Her parents were from Ireland; but she was born and raised in the state of Maryland. Her father was among the first adventurers to the Redstone country, and was associated with the Beesons and others, who built a fort, for the protection of themselves and families, on the spot where Uniontown now stands. I think they were there when Braddock met his defeat, in 1755. 

My mother was married young, and with her husband settled near Washington, then called Catfish, after an old Indian captain, or chief, who had his camp and wigwam near or at that place. My mother's first husband died young, and left her a widow with one or two small children -- all dead, long since. My father came to that country in company with Col. John Cannon, the proprietor of Cannonsburg, where he became acquainted with and married my mother. She lived to give birth to four sons and three daughters, and on the day that her oldest son -- myself -- was fourteen years old closed her eyes in death. Ah, never shall I forget that scene! It is still present to my mind, though more than half a century has elapsed. Overwhelmed in sorrow and bathed in tears, I saw her breathe her last. 

He was named for his Irish grandfather. 

James Quinn wrote of attending his first watch night service at the home of his aunt Mary (Robinette) Henthorn, whose husband John Henthorn, Jr. had died in the spring of 1786. 

He became a well-known Methodist circuit preacher in western Pennsylvania and Ohio. He was converted in 1792. For a time he lived with William Wilson, a local preacher in Ohio County, now West Virginia. In 1798, he crossed the Ohio River and spoke at the home of Jacob Holmes. He was licensed to preach in 1799. 

His early preaching assignments were: 1799 Greenfield, OH, Redstone; 1800 Pittsburgh; 1801 Erie; 1802 Winchester (VA); 1803 Redstone; 1804 Hockhocking (Ohio). 

His grave is located at Auburn Church, on the road leading from Hillsboro to Jamestown, OH, about five miles north of Hillsboro. On the monument is the following inscription: Grave of James Quinn who was nearly half a century a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Died December 1, 1847; Aged 72 years and 8 months. Erected by his brethren of the Ohio conference. Wright and Connell., Committee. [Probably state route, 72, REH] (Source: Sketches of the Life and Labors of James Quinn by John F. Wright, Cincinnati, OH, 1851 - available at the Library of Congress) 

It appears that James was 11 years old at the time of his christening. 

Rev. James Quinn was active in his correspondence with the Rev. Daniel Hitt, a prominent Methodist church leader. Of the 37 letters written to Rev. Hitt by the Henthorns and their relatives, Rev. Quinn wrote 9 of them and his future wife, Patience Teal and her sister Helen wrote 2. His letters were dated: 26 Jun 1801 (from Connaott Lake); 5 Sep 1801; 10 Jan 1802; 24 Mar 1802 (from Uniontown); 10 Jan 1803; 7 Jul 1803; 21 Mar 1805; 2 Mar 1806 (from Chillicothe, OH); 20 May 1806 (from Chillicothe, OH). 

BIOGRAPHY: History of Fairfield County, OH . Methodist Episcopal Church in Fairfield County, OH. The Methodists were the pioneers in Fairfield county, OH. The first Methodist class organized in the county was in the fall of 1799, at a place known as "Beal's Hill," about two miles northeast of Lancaster. The society consisted, at its organization, of ten members, viz: Edward Beal and wife, Jesse Spurgeon and wife, Ishmael Dew and wife, Elijah Spurgeon and wife, and Nimrod Bright and wife. They held their meetings in the cabin of Mr. Beal, he being class leader. Previous to coming to Ohio, Mr. Beal was class leader in Maryland, from where he emigrated. Very soon after the formation of this little class, they were visited by the Rev. James Quinn, then a young Methodist minister, and, so far as known, the first to enter the Hocking valley. 

The first quarterly meeting in this county was held in the year 1800, at the cabin of John Murphy, about one mile west of the present West Rushville. The preachers present on this occasion were Bishop Asbury and Daniel Hitt, who was at that time a presiding elder in the Baltimore conference. 

The first class formed in Lancaster was in the spring of 1812, with a constituent membership of ten persons, viz: Jacob D. Detrich and wife, Peter Reber and wife, Christian and Elizabeth Weaver, George and Mary Cononde, and Thomas Orr and wife. The first house for worship erected by the Methodists was a brick of two stories, with a gallery. It stood nearly on the site of the present brick church on the hill, and was erected in 1816. Rev. James Quinn preached the first sermon in it, using for his pulpit a carpenter's bench. Lancaster was then included in the Hocking circuit, formed in 1801. Joseph Chenowith was the first preacher to travel the Hocking circuit, and, at the close of the first year, returned a membership of three hundred and sixty-six persons, which showed an astonishing increase, as only three years and about six months had elapsed since the arrival of the first pioneer family in the Hocking valley. 

Nathaniel B. Mills succeeded Mr. Chenowith on this circuit, in 1802, followed in the years 1803-1804, by James Quinn. In 1804 James Williams was sent out by the conference to assist Rev. Quinn. 

Soon after the advent of the first pioneers, Rev. James Quinn, a noted and zealous minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, made his appearance in Walnut, as well as several of the townships of Fairfield county. He frequently held meetings at the cabin of William Murphy. At a very early date in the history of this township, the Methodists erected a small log church on the farm of Job McNamee. (Source: History of Fairfield and Perry Counties, Ohio, by A.A. Graham and E.S. Colborn, 1883, p. 156 and 261) . 

BIOGRAPHY: James Quinn . James Quinn was born in Washington Co., Penn., in 1775. His father, John Quinn, emigrated from Ireland about 1769, and in a few years was married to Sarah Henthorn, whose parents were also from Ireland. They were careful to instruct their children in the principles of morality and religion. When seven or eight year old, his father procured for James a New Testament, printed in England. Such an article was at that time difficult to obtain, and commanded an high price. James valued it as a great treasure, and read it through so often the he committed much of it to memory. 

About 1784 the family removed to Fayette co., where they had the privilege of attending the Methodist ministry. In 1786, having become members of the church, they had their children (four sons and one daughter) dedicated to God in baptism. The officiating minister, the venerable Enoch Matson, closed the baptismal service with extempore prayer, in which he earnestly pleaded with God not only for the salvation of all the children, but that some of the sons might be called to preach the gospel, and be eminently useful in the world. This prayer was most certainly answered. 

James had very limited opportunities of education; yet his love of books, and thirst for information, laid the foundation for the great amount of knowledge which he obtained through his strength of intellect and application to study. At the age of seventeen he experienced the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Ghost, and united with the M.E. Church. After some time he became impressed that it was his duty to preach the gospel. He, however, hesitated long, and seemed indisposed to enter on so holy and important work, until the authorities of the church literally thrust him out into the work of the ministry. 

In 1799 he was admitted into the itinerancy. After laboring five years in the Baltimore Conference, he prudently married; and was transferred to the Western Conference in 1804. This was then properly called a new country, and he and his family were subjected to many privations; and as there was no provision made to furnish married preachers with house rent, fuel, or table expenses, at that time, he determined to located, and go to work on a farm for the support of his rising family. In this relation his convictions of duty, and ordination vow, harassed him day and night; and after two restless years he resolved to enter the itinerant field again, and trust in God for the support of his family. In 1808 the conference gladly readmitted him, and he was appointed presiding elder of the Muskingum district, where he served four years, and then four years on Scioto district. He presided on districts twelve years; was stationed in cities, six; on circuits, twenty-two; was agent for the Preachers' Relief Society, one; supernumerary, one; and sureannuated, four. He was also a member of eight sessions of the General Conference. In every field of labor he served the people with great acceptance and usefulness. Many survive him who were brought to knowledge of salvation through his instrumentality, and many more were called to heaven before him. Brother Quinn's piety was deep and uniform; his faith was strong and unwavering; his zeal, not like a transient blaze, was a steady and continued flame. His talents as a preacher were universally admired. He was an able minister of the New Testament, and a theologian of a high order. Like Apollos, he "was mighty in the Scriptures." . Brother Quinn once had a strong constitution and sound health; but he suffered several very severe attacks of sickness, labored hard, and wore out sooner than some of his contemporaties. He always had a peculiar interest and pleasure in attending the annual sessions of his conference. His anxiety to be at our last session was great; and the Lord granted him the desire of his heart. After his return from conference, he went out but little; his health gradually declined, and he became aware that his end was nigh. On the 22d of November he was attacked with hemorrhage of the lungs; and he calmly informed his family that he must soon leave them. He felt no dread of death, but patiently waited its approach for ten days. It was often with difficulty he could articulate, but he furnished the fullest assurance that all was well. 

He often repeated the language of the Psalmist: "My flest and my heart faileth; but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever." To a friend he said, "I have preached Christ for more than forty years; " and after a pause, with all the energy he could use, he added, "and I have nothing to take back." His last words in relation to his state and prospects were, "All is peace." He died December 1, 1847. (Source: Page 291 and 292, labeled "Ohio Conference, 1848," from an unnamed book - furnished by Margery Benedict)

OCCUPATION: James Quinn was a member of many Methodist Conferences. (Source: 1985, Letter to Margery Benedict from Commission on Archives and History Ohio West Conference, United Methodist Archives Center, Beeghly Library Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH 43015) . Pittsburgh Conference: 1799, Greenfield; 1800, Pittsburgh; 1801, Erie . Western Conference: 1804, Hockhocking; 1805, Hockhocking; 1806, Scioto; 1809, Muskingum; 1810-1812, Muskingum . Ohio Conference: 1813-1816, Scioto; 1817, Fairfield; 1818, Pickaway; 1819-1820, Cincinnati; 1821-1822, Chillicothe; 1823, Deer Creek; 1824, Brush Creek; 1825, Zanesville Station; 1826, Fairfield; 1827, Fairfield; 1828, Chillicothe 1829-1830, Hillsborough; 1831, Wilmington 1833, Washington; 1834, Hillsborough; 1835, Lebanon District; 1836-1838, Chillicothe; 1839, Wilmington; 1842, Supernumberary; 1843, Superannuated .

James QUINN Rev. and Patience TEAL were married on 1 May 1803. Patience TEAL (daughter of Edward TEAL and Sarah UNKNOWN) died on 1 Jan 1823 in , OH. Miss Patience Teal was still single and living in Westmoreland Co., PA on, 26 Jun 1802, when she wrote a letter to the Rev. Daniel Hitt.

James QUINN Rev. and Eleanor WHITTEN were married on 3 Oct 1824. Eleanor Whitten was the 2nd wife of the Rev. James Quinn. She was from Tazewell County, VA.

No comments: