Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Looking to the Future

I'm looking forward to getting a Verizon high-speed Internet connection and whatever website space they make available with the service. Ever since AOL dropped free website support I've been upset because all of the genealogy information I'd shared for years was no longer available on the Internet. It will be nice to again have a place for anything I want to share.

Yesterday I worked on a project to convert my genealogy files that were stored, at one time, in the file format of the Family Origins for Windows program to the file format of the program that replaced it, RootsMagic. The process was quite easy because the RootsMagic program has this capability built-in. I also created a "text" file where I listed the names of all of the genealogy files and other pertinent information. I needed to do this because I'm sure it won't be long before I forget what I have available. Once a file is stored in the RootsMagic format all of the powerful output capabilities of the program can be used to share the information. I wish this program had been available years ago when I was working on genealogy almost every day. As time goes by it will be interesting to see what comes out of my current efforts. Hopefully I can sustain the interest and energy to make good use of these expanded capabilities.

Watch this blog for further reports about my progress with the high-speed Internet connection and with RootsMagic.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: