Friday, January 5, 2018

Using Find A Grave Cemetery IDs

Using Find A Grave Cemetery IDs

Find A Grave assigns each cemetery an ID number. Currently there isn't a way to search on a known cemetery ID.

When I asked about this on the Find A Grave Facebook page I was provided with a tip that will be very useful.  You can go directly to a cemetery by adding the ID number to the URL for cemeteries.

For example, I've been working with the cemetery assigned the ID number 212241. Here's a link to the cemetery using that ID number.

Senecaville, Guernsey Co., OH, Salem Baptist Church Cemetery

Here's what the URL looks like:
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/212241

So, if you know the ID number of some other cemetery, just replace "212241" with your ID of interest and you can go directly to that cemetery.

Which reminds me of another tip, that I came up with on my own. In the RootsMagic place name list you can record information about a place. When I obtain cemetery details from someone else or from Find A Grave I like to record that information in the Place List "text" field. I'm going to try to form the habit of recording the cemetery ID number as part of that information. This will help me when I want to quickly go to a particular cemetery on Find A Grave.

Here's what I recorded in the Place List text field for the Salem Baptist Church Cemetery.

Note: 
This cemetery is called, Salem Baptist Church Cemetery, Senecaville, Guernsey Co., OH on FindAGrave. Catharine (Foreaker) Fedorchak) in her Foreaker genealogy mentions it at least a dozen times as, Salem Baptist Cemetery and on page, 4b, lists the location as Richland Twp., Guernsey Co., OH.

Researcher, Richard E. Henthorn also believes it is located in Richland Twp., Guernsey Co., OH and as of Jan 2017 was called Salem Baptist Church Cemetery.
FINDAGRAVE: Cemetery ID# 212241

Dick Henthorn
5 Jan 2018

No comments: