Thursday, December 28, 2017

Stitching Two Images Together Vertically

Stitching Two Images Together Vertically

Here's a genealogy problem I wanted to solve without spending any money.

RootsMagic can create a nice screen image that displays the members in a family. Sometimes I use the Windows Screen Capture program to make a JPEG image of what I see on the screen.  Then I post this image to one of the county Facebook pages to share what I know about a family of interest to myself and Facebook friends.

Once in a while the amount of information I'd like to share exceeds one screen. In the example I'm using here my display included three generations. I knew I could capture a second screen image with the Windows Screen Capture program. The problem I faced was how to stitch the two screen images together to be saved as one JPEG file that I could post on Facebook.  I sought a way to do the stitching for "free." 

I learned that the "free" IrfanView program, which was already installed on my laptop,  could do what I wanted.  I also discovered that the program offers an option of including a colored "bar" between the two stitched images. You can't adjust the images to the right or left, so being careful how you select the area of the two screen images is important.

Using the Lumbatis family of Ohio and West Virginia here are three images that illustrate:
  • First screen capture
  • Second screen capture
  • Two images stitched together with IrfanView
Click once on any of the three images to enlarge the display.

First Screen Capture


Second Screen Capture


Two Images Stitched Together with IrfanView


Dick Henthorn
28 Dec 2017

No comments: