Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Box Shared Links Defined


I have a Box account where I sometimes share genealogy information.  Recently I signed up for a year of extended storage when they held a half-price sale.  This prompted me to review how the application works. As often happens with me, there seems to be quite a bit about Box that I either forgot or never understood.  I'm working on the problem.  Progress is slow.

As I understand it there are two ways to allow access to my content, either invite others to become Collaborators or via Shared links.

Here's a definition I found for Shared Links.

Shared linkA shared link provides a one-way relationship, allowing the recipient to preview or download a given file or folder. With customizable permission levels, security settings, and a URL that’s easy to copy and paste, shared links can be used to send important content both internally and externally. Unlike collaboration, individuals accessing your content through a shared link get "read-only" access and won’t be able to make changes to your files. They can continue to reference that link for the most up-to-date version of the content. Think of a shared link as a secure email attachment replacement.

Dick Henthorn
4 November 2015

No comments: