Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Some RootsMagic7 Glitches

Yesterday I installed RootsMagic7.  I noticed several disappointments.

The problem with wrap-around text when you save a report in .txt format hasn't been fixed.  When I mentioned this yesterday to Tech Support the person I talked to brushed me off saying that no one had ever reported the problem.

The installation procedure suggested that I let them uninstalled RootsMagic6.  I followed their suggestion.  I'm not sure this was such a good idea.  They didn't warn me that the newly installed version of the program would forget all of the formatting information such as color scheme and toolbar button icon placement.  I'm not happy about that.

I installed a copy of the program on a thumb drive for the first time.  I had a new SanDisk 4Gb thumb drive on hand.  After the installation I copied one of my files to the thumb drive in order to test drive how it works. This is a very handy way to take your genealogy with you if you travel and don't want to take your laptop. I think I'll take the thumb drive to the computer club meeting to show Dale Grant who does genealogy.

Dick Henthorn
6 January 2015

No comments: