Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sharing Information

I'm concerned about how I share the information I have compiled.  I'd rather not share with folks I don't know or with those I know who don't reciprocate when I share information.

I'm of the opinion that there are as many rules about how to do genealogy as there are people doing genealogy.  Sharing information always opens the door to criticism.
Some say:
  • "It's all wrong." 
  • "Send me everything you've got."
  • "You didn't cite enough sources."
  • "You didn't cite your sources in the approved manner."
  • "You have too much information about the living in your files."
  • "I don't want you to have any information in your files about my family."
  • "The dates you recorded are wrong."
  • "The places you recorded are wrong."
  • "That's not the name of this person."
Today I'm testing another method of sharing.  The idea is to share a PDF report on a limited basis, say 48-hours.  I can do this using the application Files To Friends. Files uploaded remain available for download for two days.

I'm sharing the URL to a 51-page Descendant Report for the family of Thomas and Mary Clegg here and also on my Henthorn Genealogy group on Facebook.  The link expires on 29 Jan 2015 at 10:38 a.m.

Dick Henthorn
27 January 2015



No comments: