Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Facebook Formatting

Facebook Formatting

There is an issue with document formatting on Facebook.

I tried two ways of sharing a document on Facebook that didn't work well.

First, I copied obituary text that I'd extracted from a Find A Grave memorial. I made some addtions using square brackets [ ] and uploaded my file as a "Document" to a Facebook Group. This didn't work well. Paragraph breaks were inserted between text several sentences long and a one line piece of information in parentheses that should have followed immediately after the text.

Next, I tried copying the same text as a "post" to the Group. This resulted in the same problem, excessive paragraph breaks.

Here's how I solved the problem. I was working with a couple who didn't have children. There was an obituary for the wife only. I told RootsMagic to create a Family Group sheet for the couple. I saved the output as a PDF file. I uploaded the PDF to the Facebook Files area of the Group just as I have often done with Descendant Reports as PDFs.  As a result the obituary paragraph formatting appears to my liking and the PDF can be previewed online or downloaded.

Dick Henthorn
3 Jun 2020

No comments: