Saturday, June 20, 2020

Drib and Drab Genealogy

Drib and Drab Genealogy

I belong to a number of genealogy Groups on Facebook. Trying to follow the threads is often next to impossible. I call what is going on "drib and drab" genealogy.
Sometimes I think that the posts are a way of showing off, "look what I've got, that you don't have." I work hard to avoid letting my frustration run rampant with snide remarks..

Lately when things get out of hand, I have been using Family Group Sheets to summarize the information I have about a couple and their offspring. Using RootsMagic it is quick and easy to create such a report. Sometimes I share the FGS in the Files area of the Group where the thread occurs. And, I also upload the FGS to my own paid Box account where it can be previewed or downloaded.

BTW, it should probably go without saying that, I am also not a big fan of screen captures of genealogy pedigree charts. They convey little information in a very difficult to read format.

Dick Henthorn
20 Jun 2020


No comments: