Friday, February 23, 2018

RootsMagic Search Everywhere

RootsMagic Search Everywhere


Today I noticed a search option with RootsMagic that I hadn't seen before. 

This option finds records by searching the text of the Note field. 

I ran two tests looking for data tags that I entered in all caps:
  • Search for all records with the word, RESEARCHER
  • Search for all records with the word, OBITUARY
Here are three screen captures I made during the process.

First, enter the word you seek, in this case, RESEARCHER. In my Note fields this word is in uppercase (all caps) so I checked the Match case box. You have the option of searching for more than one word. In my test I was only interested in one word.


Next, after you click on "OK" the Search Everything box appears with a thermometer in green displaying the search progress.


Finally, the search results are displayed, in alphabetical order, based on the names of the person whose Note contains the word or words of interest. Here, before making the screen capture, I scrolled to the entry for deceased Yoho family researcher, Denver Clayton Yoho. 

For each person in the report a snippet of the the text of their Note with the search word(s) highlighted in red is displayed. 

Also, there are two hot spots, in blue, that can be clicked to go directly to a person's record
  • (edit)
  • Note:


The HTM file can be printed or saved. 

Dick Henthorn
23 Feb 2018

No comments: