Monday, January 27, 2014

RootsMagic File Conversions

This afternoon I've been working on converting some of my RootsMagic3 files that reside on my old desktop computer to RootsMagic6 files on my laptop computer. I converted five files. It looks like there are still around fifteen files left to convert.  I don't have an exact count because some of the file names seem to indicate that they are "work" files.  When I try to recall what I was doing months ago it makes me wish my memory was working better.

Here are the steps:

  1. Create a GEDCOM file of the RootsMagic3 file to be converted
  2. Create a folder on the receiving computer called, GEDCOMin
  3. Use the GBridge program to link my two computers and copy the GEDCOM file from the desktop to the laptop computer.  
  4. Input the GEDCOM file to RootsMagic6 to create the new version of the file on the laptop
  5. Input the Preparer information in the new file

I'm still not clear on how to use the GBridge program on the two computers.  That is to say, I can get it to work, but I can't explain how it works to anyone else.

Dick Henthorn
27 January 2014


No comments: