Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tracing My Family Tree

TRACING MY FAMILY TREE
Author unknown
Copied from The Genie,
Published by ARK-LA-TEX Genealogical Association
April 1977

I started out calmly tracing my tree
To find, if I could, the making of me.
And all that I had was a great grandfather's name
Not knowing his wife or from which way he came.
I chased him across a long line of states
And came up with pages and pages of dates.
When all put together it made me forlorn.
I'd proven poor great grandpa had never been born.

One day I was sure the truth I had found
Determined to turn this whole thing upside down
I looked up the records of one of Uncle John
But found the old man to be younger than son.
Then when my hopes were fast growing dim
I came across records that must have been him.

The facts I collected then made me quite sad
Dear old great grandfather was never a dad!
I think maybe someone is pulling my leg.
I'm not at all sure I wasn't hatched from an egg.
After hundreds of dollars I've spent on my tree
I can't help but wonder if I'm really me!

No comments: